We shoot on our own range on Royston Heath, behind the smaller car park, and we shoot during the spring, summer, autumn and winter. Yes, we really do shoot all year round unless the weather makes it unsafe, for example heavy rain, snow or strong winds. In poor weather conditions we recommend contacting a committee member to check if shooting will take place. We may have an option of shooting indoors if our indoor venue is available at short notice.
Members meet on Sundays at 10:00am on the Heath. Beginners’ courses usually take place in the afternoon 1.30 to 4.30. When beginners courses are run, members shooting times are restricted to finish before 1.30.
During the summer months we have an outdoor Thursday evening shoot on the Heath, 6pm till dusk.
In the Winter we have an indoor shoot on Thursday evenings from 7pm with shooting until 9.30pm at Melbourne Village College. This allows us time to take down the range and to be off site by 10.00pm. This has to be limited to archers with their own equipment as we don’t have club kit available at the venue. Indoor target fee (£5 per session) is required to cover the costs of hall rental.
Full details of upcoming shoots and competitions can be found on our timetable.
Rules for shooting club rounds
- There should be no less than 2 and no more than 4 archers per boss.
- If you arrive late and there are insufficient bosses set up for you to join in then it is your responsibility to put up another boss if available.
- All archers will pack away their bosses etc. when they have finished their rounds if other club members have not finished their rounds.
- Archery GB rules for shooting will apply. A Field Captain with whistle must be appointed for each club shoot.
- Remember: line cutters score the higher value.
- The Target Captain is responsible for all questions, disputes, etc and their decision is final.
- Only score sheets correctly completed, signed and dated will count towards the club score and/or your handicap and classification.
- It is your responsibility to deposit your completed scorecards into the folder at the end of the shoot.
- Alternative rounds may shot outdoors provided that at least 2 members take part in that round.
- Choice of outdoor evening rounds is by agreement provided at least 2 members take part in that round.
- Indoors everyone shoots the same round. This will be announced at the start of the shoot.